To fulfill our mission to develop creative thinkers and leaders who take a leadership role in the community, the ASA Board of Directors is committed to providing equitable learning and teaching environment that celebrates the diversity of our students, teachers, staff, and families.
At the June 2020 strategic planning retreat, the Board and School Leadership engaged stakeholders (faculty, staff, students, and parents) in an extensive discussion where we affirmed our values and commitment to equity that will be reflected in the ASA Strategic Plan, a three-year guidance document that begins in Fall 2020. The Board will prioritize equity issues, to include the following:
- Provide professional development through training in self-awareness and equitable practices for all Faculty, Staff, School Leadership, and Board of Directors.
- Conduct a comprehensive, third party, review of policies and procedures.
- Review curriculum and instruction through an equity lens and make appropriate revisions.
- Increase the diversity of faculty and staff.
- Maintain transparent communication about commitments, revised policies and practices, and progress/accountability.
- Include diverse student voices at all levels of the organization.
- Provide trainings for Faculty/Staff/Board/School Leadership to build an understanding of racist structures and to respond to student concerns and experiences with compassion, empathy, and anti-racist/culturally responsive actions (2020-2023).
- Engage outside evaluation of ASA policies, procedures, processes, and recommend changes to make these more equitable (2020-2021).
- Create bilingual resources for all policies, procedures, communications, etc (2020 and ongoing).
- Continue to deliver high quality academic and performing arts curricula and instruction that is core to our mission and values.
- Conduct a review of the academic and performing arts curriculum through the lenses of anti-racism and equity and ensure we deliver a curriculum reflective of our values and diverse community.
- Revise the interview process for hiring faculty and staff to include questions related to ASA’s commitments to equity (2020-2021).
- Identify and support strategic partnerships and collaborations to create more diversity among teaching candidates.
- Create an equity statement to be added to the employee handbook (May 2020).
- Identify and support strategic partnerships and collaborations that will enhance a diverse educational experience for our students (2020 and ongoing).
Communication and Accountability
- Create a transparent communication framework for all stakeholders (students, families, faculty, staff, surrounding community) about revised equity policies and procedures including opportunities for discussion and feedback (August 2020 and ongoing).
- Create Honorary Student Board Member positions to invite greater inclusion of student perspectives in policy and equity discussions and decisions (establish in 2020-2021 then ongoing).